View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-06-21, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I need to get out and try some of those. Sadly I've never upgraded my Canon Rebel XT. I keep going back and forth on going mirrorless or another full frame DSLR. I'm fairly certain I'll stick with Canon, but not even requiring that now. At this very moment, my iPhone 11 Pro gets more camera time from me than anything. It feels so dirty to be talking photos like that.
The only big changes from the XT to modern cameras are dynamic range and high ISO performance, both have leaped a lot since mid 2000s when that camera came out. They've added video and better live view too, but from the point of it being photographic tool not much has changed. The newer Rebels also have better viewfinders, auto focus and stuff as well.

Full frame really isn't that big of a deal, but the marketing departments are working overtime to make you think they are. When I moved to full frame in 2011 it made a big difference, the same cannot be said now. My Father has a modern DX (crop) Nikon camera and it's very good, so close to my full frame cameras (D750/D810) that if I was in your place, I wouldn't bother going full frame. Mirrorless is the way to go if you are upgrading in the next few years, unless you already have a good collection of DSLR lenses. The DSLR lines will slowly be killed off over the next 4-5 years I suspect. That said if you want to have the option to get less expensive high end lenses in the future, as people make the switch, a DSLR isn't a bad choice. I've take advantage of people switching to get some great lenses for half of retail price, and it is in mint condition. Haven't bought a "new" lens or camera in 5 years, no need, because there is so much high quality used stuff out there that people have hardly even used. You just have to be careful who you buy from. I've got most of my stuff used from local camera stores, which is great because it helps local business rather than big online retailers.