View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-08, 09:49

I hate that kind of thing. Just blatant disrespect and game-playing. So low-rent.

UPDATE: And right along those same lines, I just saw this at MacRumors:

Report: iOS Users Who Opt-Out of App Tracking Continue to Be Tracked by Facebook and Snapchat

I'd like to say/think "well, they're gonna keep doing this until everyone just says 'enough' and drops them completely". But I'm not that naive. Nobody ever says "enough" anymore (we wouldn't have half the silly shit going on in the world if so), and I know some people who'd rather lose a limb than not be on Facebook, so...

Quote:
"Loose" interpretations of Apple's privacy policies allow apps such as Facebook and Snapchat to continue tracking users for targeted advertising even when they have asked to not be tracked, The Financial Times reports.
It's just the principle of it all. If I ask for someone, in real life, not to do something (stop bringing up certain topics, flicking my ear, drinking from my cup, etc.) there are consequences if/when they refuse...a lost friendship, a punch in the nose, I completely destroy their reputation/standing in the solar system, etc. Whatever. That unspoken fear/threat keeps most people in line and not doing something you've asked them not to do. These companies don't have that. They just shift the goalposts, or re-word things or implement some new program/initiative under a different name, making where the customer has to stay informed and know when, and where, to go in to opt-out.

This is wrong.

If there were swift and certain consequences to their fuckery - the business/financial equivalent of a solid, well-deserved punch in the jaw that totally rewires/adjusts one's thinking/attitude immediately - they'd knock it off. Well, most would. I have my doubts about a few...

The default, across the board, should be "I'm opted out/leave me alone, unless I blatantly flip a switch to allow/agree to otherwise...until then, BUG OFF!" But these companies know most would never do so, so they have to do this shady, low-rent and underhanded stuff to get to you. We've seen it just three times this morning, from some big, known outfits.

That should speak volumes about who's who, who believes what, where priorities are, how some companies view you, etc.

And because all this stuff is intertwined with politicians and big political interests, realistically expecting Washington DC and lawmakers to "tackle the issue" is about the stupidest, most pie-eyed/fairytale thing a grown, reasonably-intelligent person could ever believe. I put my number on the Do Not Call registry back in summer of 2004; I get more telemarketing and bullcrap calls now than I ever have. Don't tell me that industry/practice couldn't be decimated, overnight, if the genuine will was there to do so.

Do we just have to start physically beating the sweet holy shit out of some of these CEOs and execs a few times a year until they come around? I'm not ruling that out.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-08 at 11:31.