View Single Post
NaMo4184

2005-07-11, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
NaMo4184 - What you request is certainly a wonderful dream, but that's all it is. You'd have to put dual 2.5" hard drives in a laptop to get 200 GB of storage space, because the largest current laptop drive is only 100 GB. Same with the dual-core Pentium M. It'll come, eventually, but I doubt a processor that generates that much heat would work in such a tiny package. The Pentium M does have excellent thermal properties, but it's not magical. A 2.26 GHz one dissipates 27W at load, and 54W for a dual core version is just too much for a mobile chip. Maybe a dual-core 1.8 GHz version would be feasible in a year or two, as I think the 2.0 GHz part only dissipates 20W, and a 1.8 GHz is probably somewhere in the 15-18W range. It'll be especially possible once Intel moves to the 65nm process.

atomicbartbeans: This was discussed a little while ago. Some guy got angry at me on his website for claiming that the term "spec whore" had originated at AppleNova. He claims to have originated it.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=3010
I was under the impression that hard drives double in capacity every 12 months or so. I figured we would be at 200 GB soon enough for 10.5... Maybe thats only for desktop hard drives. oh and make it 7200 rpm

And I never said How fast the processor had to be. I don't mind a 1ghz version. From what I read on arstechnica, there is laptop CPU with a power range of 3-10watts coming. And its 1.66ghz but its 32 bit so its a problem for me. I want future proofing.

I don't think my laptop is a dream at all. Its a sooner than later reality thank you.

John Coltrane's 'Giant Steps'