View Single Post
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-06-13, 01:49

OK, so my PowerBook ceased to function after I dropped it off a table. I'd try to start it up, but nothing - just a flashing question mark and if I put my ear against where the HD sits, I can hear it attempt to spin up.
It sounds like a car with a dying battery trying to fire up. Rrrrrrr, Rrrrr, Rrrrr etc.

So, I find a couple of nifty sites describing how to disassemble a 12" PB, purchase a compatible HD and go to work.

The HD that died is a Hitachi 40Gig and I'm trying to replace it with a Hitachi/IBM 80Gig. Here's a shot of both.

Here's the issue that I'm having:
In the pic, you'll notice that the original drive (on the left) sits in shock-mount base.
The base connects to the original HD via a small rectangular connector - my new drive does not have this connector. It has a normal edge connector.

Here's the question for you all-knowing people: The base comes apart and does allow me to use the edge connector to hook up my new HD, but I'm wondering if I can use it that way in my PowerBook?
There are a lot of chips and circuitry on that base that will be unused.

Did I get the wrong drive?

I really miss my PowerBook and OS X. I'm stuck on my XP gaming rig!
Help please.

Here are additional pics for better visualization:
The different connectors on the HDs
Shock-mount base
Shock-mount base disassembled