View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-13, 03:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
My favorite is when Apple does something (like ditch the headphone jack) and competitors (like Samsung) spend years making ads that mock them for it, all the while knowing that they are also working on phones that ditch the headphone jack (like the Galaxy Note 10).
To be fair, Apple made an iPhone 5 ad mocking bigger phone sizes. Then made much bigger phone sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
But you're right, it's been a little while since they've been like that on the Mac. They're trying to lead (Touch Bar! USB-C everything!) but it doesn't seem like others are following them quite as closely, any more.
Right.

I mean… I don't think PC makers went USB everything quickly after 1998; it's just not their MO. But the Touch Bar is interesting.

If Windows 8 hadn't happened, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to imitate the Touch Bar. (Note that Lenovo had the Adaptive Keyboard a few years earlier. But, in typical PC maker fashion, they then didn't follow up on it, leaving no chance to build an ecosystem.)

But now they all have touch displays, and those touch displays have a reasonable (though not great) level of support from the OS vendor, and adding a Touch Bar on top of that is a little weird. (That's not to say that it would be useless.)

IOW, Apple didn't add a new feature here; they provided a significantly different angle to a feature others already had. Which isn't bad, but which does make it a little harder for the others to then pivot.