View Single Post
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-02-08, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
You guys remember the Audi 5000 fiasco? It took them years to shake that reputation. I know my mom still wouldn't even think about getting an Audi for that reason alone.
The reality is that there was nothing wrong with the Audi 5000. Years later after the damage was done it was proven that there was no "sudden acceleration". Instead it was stupid people stepping on the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal. In the court case it came out that 60 Minutes rigged the car in their piece to get the desired results. Years later Dateline pulled a similar stunt to "prove" pickup trucks could catch on fire.

EDIT: I should have read your link first!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
But, I believe it was with the Corvair where GM deemed it cheaper to deal with the lawsuits then to recall the vehicle over the steering column design flaw until Nader came out and brought it to light( anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong).
The steering column was rigid like most others of the day. Nader's main issue was that the Corvair had a defective rear suspension that could cause the driver to lose control and possible roll over. Of course the car was cleared after a government investigation but the damage was done. The Corvair was the last time GM dared to innovate. It's too bad.