View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2015-03-21, 18:43

My best experience of a heavenly event was the yearly August meteor shower. The peak of the shower was around 11:00 p.m. and I happened to be outside walking down a gravel road near a mountain cabin I had rented for a few weeks. I was walking through tall pines, so my view of the sky was restricted by the height of their foliage; but at one point, I was looking up (this was in the mountains at over 8,000 feet in altitude) and a meteor came flying fast and low right over me, so low that I actually had the instinct to duck! It was pretty incredible, though I realize it couldn't have been as low as it seemed.

Julius Caesar is linked in some way with this August meteor shower (is it the Perseid Meteor Shower?), so maybe he was a Leo and had a birthday in August. I'm not sure about that aspect of backstory.

Is it 2018 when North America will be able to see the next total solar eclipse? It's amazing that the pic above caught that one small opening in the dense cloud cover. The sky looks pretty dark. Was it like dusk, after the sun had set, but when it's not yet dark?