View Single Post
TheOtherDave

2016-03-14, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
You want startling? I too am no electrical engineer, but I've read it takes the power companies / manufacturing companies roughly 12 months to build commercial grade transformer rigs. A bad solar EMP would trash most of them as I understand it, and we have almost none in reserve (too expensive for today's short-term financial wizards). And you can't build more without electricity. Nice situation we've saddled ourselves with, eh?
Yep. Especially since it'd essentially be just dumb luck if a factory capable of manufacturing them still has power afterwards. We might end up having to build a steam-powered early industrial-age factory complex just to make the first few parts to rebuild our information-age infrastructure (on the maybe-plus-maybe-minus side, the steam punk people would probably be able to get more hipster cred... "We liked steam-powered stuff before it was necessary to reinvent it all to save civilization!")

Last edited by TheOtherDave : 2016-03-14 at 16:49. Reason: Yes, I know it's an old post. I don't care... the thread was already rez'd, anyway.