View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-03, 13:53

I suspect Apple Silicon and its resulting logic is going to require a lot less space than anything from Intel at that level. And if Apple strikes down their own GPU path, that is also going to require a lot less space. With all SSDs and who-knows-yet RAM upgrades, I'm guessing Apple is going to be able to cram a lot more into a lot less. While there are very few ways to integrate current PCIe tech, there is still a lot of space-smashing to be done once Intel is out of the box. The current Mac Pro's design exists to accommodate four things: Big-ass PCI cards, Intel's heat problems, power delivery, and the massive fans to make it run cool and quiet. One of those problems will go away.

Remember, iPad Pro's live on a teeny, tiny logic board with no fans and are completely crushing it!

And we do not yet know what "all new form factor" even means. It's just speculation from "people familiar with the matter". I think Apple learned from the trashcan that PCIe is required, so it's not going to get that much smaller.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)