View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-22, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
turtle brings up a good point. Are we all assuming the old-school "MagSafe" in these rumors, that quick-release/anti-klutz thing, or will their be some implementation of this new take on the word introduced with the iPhone 12?

I supposed it could all be called the same thing, just meaning different uses/functions for notebooks vs. iPhones?
Yeah, Apple is definitely not shy to reuse a brand in a different way. Cocoa, iSight, SuperDrive, …

I suspect, if the rumor is to be believed, that these will be a lot more like the old MacBook MagSafe.

For one, there wasn't that much wrong with it. I wish there had been third-party chargers, and that the plug had been less prone to fraying, but the technique per se worked just fine. Maaaaaaybe one problem with MagSafe in recent years was weight; MacBook have become lighter, throwing the magnet mechanism out of wack.

And two, unlike on the iPhone, I can't see it being anything like Qi charging. Qi only goes up to 30W (and I'm not even sure there's even an implementation that goes above 15?). You want something like 90-150W (accounting for ~33% overhead due to wireless charging) for Mac laptops, and aside from being non-standard (does Apple care?) that would presumably run way too hot.

(I am not an electrical engineer, though.)