View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-29, 07:42

Maybe so, but it seems Apple may no longer see it that way. It ultimately comes down to them, and they’re the ones people have to direct their wishes/disagreements to. Nobody here (and their opinions) are on the hook for anything. Apple has never once rang me up and asked for my input on what to do about their notebooks. And I’d hang up on them if they did because I don’t want the responsibility/pressure.

“You’re asking the wrong guy, Tim. I just get to say meaningless shit on a message forum, consequence-free.”

They’re either gonna correct course a bit and put the HDMI and SD slot back on. Or not. People gotta deal with it, either way.

At the end of the day, people (in any serious numbers) aren’t likely to flee the platform over hardware reasons. Ports and keyboards and display size and colors aren’t why people choose to use a Mac/Apple. Those are just details and side issues that have nothing to do with the overall big picture, ecosystem, security/privacy stuff, the “it just works” aspect, etc. in my 25+ years of swimming in these waters, I’ve yet to meet anyone who’s migrated to Windows over I/O concerns or display tech or any of the other 158 things nerds tend to squawk about and get into the weeds over.

It’ll all shake out as it’s intended and users will deal with it, as they always have

“Where’s the SCSI port and floppy drive?! Waaahhh!!!”

Six months later: crickets chirping

Apple is going to define what “pro” means by any way they want. And, like everything else in the culture/planet, it’s going to immediately divide everyone right down the middle. We’re never going to all agree on anything ever again. That time is long gone.

Roll with it until the next outrage/disappointment comes knocking.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-29 at 07:59.