View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-10, 06:14

Apple’s odd sometimes. Part of the reason they’re sitting on such a pile of money is that they often go the chintzy, unexpected route.

I brought this up two weeks ago, asking how they’d go about this and working the numbers to show how many (3,000+) they’d have to have to outfit all the Apple Stores worldwide with a display unit of every color.

My gut tells me for their own stores they’ll do just that. For their resellers (Best Buy, etc) they may provide some sort of in-store display card/panel that sits next to the demo unit(s) to show all the colors available.

At the very least, some printed promo placards or posters that show the range. So the person can leave Best But, go home and order a yellow one directly from Apple I suppose.

The iFruit era was over and the iMac colors/patterns were winding down by the time the Apple Stores came to be, so we don’t know how Apple handled the five rainbow/fruit jellybean iMac in store displays. But I do remember places like CompUSA, Microcenter, Circuit City, Sear(!) having 1-3 sitting out. Almost always a Graphite and Blueberry, at the very least. Anything else - lime, strawberry, etc. - was a treat. And I do recall seeing gutted, hollow/non-functional “dummy” iMac G3 units in some places. Because I offered to buy them when they were done being used.

I wanted all six on a shelf in my living room because, at the time, I was severely idiotic. I’m not fully recovered, but I’m working toward it. Slow and steady, as they say…

EDIT: Good grief, there were so many duplicates, gibberish and typos above that I just discovered upon re-reading, several hours later.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Am I the only one who thinks the predictive/auto-correct stuff in iOS is getting worse in recent years? From 2007 until about 2017-2018, a solid decade, I don't think I ever struggled with typos, omissions, weirdo/senseless word substitutions and outright mangling of stuff I wrote on my iPhone. It definitely seems like an iOS thing because I don't run into all this craziness on the Mac, just on my phone. And just in recent years. How can something like this be worse than it was 4-6 years ago?! I encounter it daily. People will respond and ask if I'm having a stroke. I've actually typed common words like "general" or "system" and they'll get changed, on-the-fly, to something completely stupid/meaningless. That used to not happen. You used to have to make a blatant typo before it would change things for you, now it just seems to substitute random words for correctly-spelled, intentional words.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-10 at 12:20.