Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-31, 07:32

It is a great design, but it would be a shame if thermal issues, once again, arose because of some of those design decisions. That’s exactly my concern, and it shouldn’t even have to be one. But with him in the mix, though…

On a computer, style/design can't - and shouldn’t - trump real-world usage and performance. If it has to be slightly less sleek and "attractive", but perform properly for the money being asked, then you go with that. At the end of the day these aren’t art objects or made solely for bragging rights.

Maybe with the M1 that’s not going to be the concern/risk it was before. I sure hope so. It seems to run much cooler and more efficiently. These new iMacs haven’t been out in the world long enough, so let’s see what the next few months bring (although I’ve not heard any issues from the M1-based notebooks, and they’re even thinner in the area that holds all the guts.

When I see him involved in anything these past 6-8 years, I just get nervous.

Nobody’s denying his great designs over the past few decades (jellybean iMac, iPod, etc.). But that doesn’t mean he gets a pass on the questionable, unasked-for stuff he’s had a role in more recent years. I don't worship at the altar of Ive. He’s had far more hits, of course, but those hits make those misses really stand out.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-31 at 14:08.