View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-03, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
But Steve wasn't actually that formulaic! The iPod intro and iPhone intro have very different vibes, for example. There was often an element of "Steve just spends five times live-demo'ing a user interface, clearly at his personal peak and in awe of his team" that seems missing now. They still do live demos, but they feel far more "alright, you get the idea" compact. Efficient, but less human.
Exactly! I think that's what I miss more than anything. The only reason I ever delved into Garageband was because of how Steve presented it. I had no interest in it in the lead-up rumors, but to see him sit there and put together that little tune, piece by piece...I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Between it and iTunes, my first steps into digital music. I'd still have CDs (cassettes?) and my TASCAM 4-track tape-based multitrack recorder otherwise. It kinda changed my life. Certainly my hobbies!

I know he gets romanticized and put on a pedestal (that he may not fully deserve), but damn...there's no denying that was a wonderful period (1998-2010ish). I'm glad I was around, and into all this stuff. Great memories, and, without a doubt, a big part of the reason I still care about all this stuff. No iEra Steve Jobs, I'm likely on a Dell and an Android-based phone. I was a Mac user pre-iMac/Jobs' return, but I didn't fully dive in/get "passionate" about it until 1998 and those years following. That was when I knew "okay, I'll be using this stuff forever."

At 52 I'm not about to change anything on the computing/phone front.