View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-04, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Nah. Tb 4 goes to 40 Gigabits per second, or 5 Gigabytes. The LPDDR4x RAM in an M1 reaches 34.1 Gigabytes per second, so about 7 times as much, and M2 might go to LPDDR5, which boosts that even further.

I suppose they could put the RAM in the dock, but at that point you basically have a separate computer?

(edit)

Now that I'm awake, to expand on that… it's interesting how much the PowerBook Duo's Duo Dock did. It added VRAM and an FPU. The FPU part would probably be quite impractical now, due to aforementioned bandwidth and latency concerns. But the VRAM is kind of a thing with eGPUs.

I don't think Apple will do this, but a third party could probably make an eGPU that works more like a Duo Dock: slide the MacBook, lid closed, into a giant holder, VHS tape-style. Then have some kind of mechanism that, once inserted, hooks up the Thunderbolt port from the side. And finally, add many, many ports, and a GPU.
Oh well, it was an idea...

And yes, combining the TB dock and eGPU is something that might be well done by a third-party.