View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-27, 13:00

So, my daughter has been lost in Star Wars for the last few days. In preparing for The Rise of Skywalker she watched Episodes 1-7 (I watched the tail end of 6 and all of 7 with her last night). We are going to a TROS matinee show on Sunday (she even bought a SW t-shirt for the occasion).

The thing that's funny to me four years on is that the chemistry between the characters in TFA is quite good. Then, in TLJ that chemistry is completely busted and or missing entirely. Just a complete departure. In 7, Fin and Rey start a bit awkward, but it comes along. In 8, Rose enters the scene and the chemistry is entirely missing, yet we are supposed to believe there is something there. It's just … bad. In 7, the relationship between Poe and Leia is one of mutual respect. In 8, Poe is suddenly a careless, bumbling idiot. The Rose/Finn save/kiss has got to be the most awkward moment in movie history. Blech!

It makes no sense to me. I get that 7 was a remake of 4, but it was done very well. What the hell happened with 8? I mean, other than Rian Johnson, it's all the same people.

I seriously don't know what happened, other than woke/virtue signaling.

After I see 9 on Sunday, I will update my list of favorite to least favorite SW movies. As of right now, 8 is on the absolute bottom, and far below the atrocious 2 and 3.

Seriously, what the hell happened to this franchise?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)