View Single Post
MINK

2006-02-28, 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbaldwin
I NEVER said this was a PPV model...

-Baldwin
So what?

Video on demand is not TV and is very bad for big TV companies even though they don't really know it yet. Watch them get all confused and litigious just like the record labels (and the canal companies vs railways etc etc etc etc etc throughout history)

TV is turning your brain OFF and flicking channels, and watching programs at the same time as everyone else. that is the only reason it feels sociable even though the viewing experience is isolating.

VOD is turning ON your brain and making decisions, and totally timeshiftable which kinda destroys the watercooler banter.

whether PPV or subscription, the big TV companies will struggle to adapt, because they think people actually LIKE THEIR CRAP, while all the time we were just vegetating and we had no choice.

Here in Lithuania I have no TV and i enjoy going to other people's houses and seeing what they have downloaded. It's more fun. We talk about it. We pause and replay it. We go to the toilet whenever we like. It's great
Now if i go somewhere with a TV the room seems kinda dead as everyone respectfully shuts up and obeys the demon box.