Thread: Toy Story 3
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-29, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
Well it did at least get Best Animated Picture.
...and that's why I hate that award.

People complain about documentaries and foreign films being marginalized with their own dedicated awards, too. But I think the BAP award is even worse because it's so arbitrary. It's not like animation dictates a totally different type of film, like documentaries do (that's non-fiction vs. fiction). It just means the image was produced a certain way. That's it. You can make an animated horror film or an animated drama - hell, an animated documentary, even! So it makes no sense for it to have its own award. (Yes, technically an animated film could still be nominated for BP, just as a documentary can, but I don't think that's ever going to happen - if it would have happened, it would have happened last year.)

In Wall-E's case, BAP was basically a non-award. There was no contest - what, they were honestly going to give it to Kung Fu Panda? Even DreamWorks knew not to hope for that. The fact that there was no legitimate contest suggests that maybe Wall-E should have been allowed to compete with the "real films" for BP, but instead I'd wager BAP played a role in keeping Wall-E from scoring a BP nod. If the award hadn't been created, I think Wall-E would have been nominated.

I'd support a Best Animation award, just as there's an award for Costume Design and Visual Effects. But BAP?

An award intended to promote animation has done just the opposite, IMO.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong