Thread: Toy Story 3
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-30, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
No, that wasn't the point...it was a stylistic choice...it made sense to do, but it was still a handcuff. That was the whole they dug for themselves. The point of the movie was to give robots sentience and personality.
...and to give them a personality unique to robots, without making them seem like mechanical people.

Do you think it's a coincidence that none of the robot characters in Wall-E have mouths, or mouth analogues?

The conceptual crux of the movie was a love story between two robots. The artistic crux of the movie was using animation, not merely words, to make the robots seem like emotional beings. And the thematic crux of the movie was an ecological theme.

They all worked together beautifully. The non-verbal communication allowed Wall-E and Eve to express their feelings in a uniquely robotic way, and the lack of reliance of dialogue underscored the universality of the film's message.

If the lack of dialogue in the film was some tacked-on effort to make the film feel high-brow, you might have a point. But it's integral to the film. I mean, can you even imagine watching the film with Wall-E and Eve conversing fluently throughout? It would be a totally different picture. And a much less successful one, IMO.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong