View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-03, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramirtook View Post
Hey all,

I'm almost up on my first year with my 13" Macbook Pro, and I'm debating whether or not I should buy Applecare. I know that laptops are more prone to random hardware failure, but on the other hand, I'm approaching broke-ass college student status.

Any advice?

Thanks.
YES! YES!! YES!!!

I'll never make this same mistake again. After paying $226 out of pocket for some repairs to my iMac last month, I've had to take it back. Thankfully, a polite, inquisitive phone call to Apple on Tuesday has resulted in them going above and beyond and covering the cost of a new graphics card (parts and labor). Had I had AppleCare to begin with, I wouldn't have been in such a shaky position. Like Kickaha above, I was just calling Apple to get some info on repair costs, asks them a question or two about diagnosis, etc. and I guess my story struck someone as compelling and I got passed up the line a level or two, and wound up getting my iMac back today, without paying anything.

This iMac is the first time I've not purchased AppleCare (money has been tight in 2008-2009), but it will be the last time I fail to do so.

I was gambling on 15+ years of "good luck" and thought "eh, I've never used it before...".

Naturally, my iMac gets demonically possessed and turns into a raging a-hole in March. I'm just now, early June, coming out of it all (hopefully).

So, yes. As Capella says, broke or not, it's worth it. Think of how broke you'll be if you're staring at some insane, out-of-the-blue $900 logic board replacement! Suddenly, that $349 will be the smartest money you ever spent.

My Mom just got AppleCare today for her MacBook, and I just finished registering it all about 7-8 minutes ago. She's now covered until September 2012, and is happy about that.

A timely thread...