View Single Post
digitalprimate

2006-10-31, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Can you think of a way to allow anonymous voting that is also verifiable?
If you asked me that question last year, I'd probably go on and brag about electronic voting in Belgium, where at the polling station every voter receives an anonymous magnetic stripe card. This has to be inserted into the voting computer and the card registers the choice. It is then put into a sealed ballot box. The results then can be recounted (if needed or counted anyway, I'm not sure).

In theory this looks like a good system, however a group against this type of electronic voting says that it is opaque and nobody but a few IT-people can check the results and know how the system really works, as opposed to voting on paper, where every citizen can see and verify each single voting ballot.

But how about voting per computer where after final confirmation of his/her vote the citizen receives two pieces of paper (like copy cards) as a printout. On both pieces the choice has been indicated. One piece goes into a sealed ballot box, the other is for the voter. At the end the votes are verifiable because the computer count has to match the ballot box count. Maybe on each "ballot box" paper, there could be a barcode too, which links it to that particular voting computer, polling station and voting session (but not a specific voter, duh). It could then speed up the verifying process.