View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-11, 09:25

Ha...it's funny you bring up the Mellencamp thing. Years ago, in Rolling Stone, he gave an interview. This was probably mid-late 80's, when he was at his peak (Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubille albums were huge hits, tons of singles, etc.).

I remember the interview being mostly him bitching about everything for 5-6 pages. He in such a foul mood, I remember (in fact, in the following issue many of the letters from readers were things like "tell John Mellencamp to lighten up...jeez!").

He said that people had approached him to use his songs in commercials and that he essentially told them to go f*** themselves. I'll always remember this quote from him:

"Good or bad, I didn't write 'Hurts So Good' to pour ketchup to".

Fast forward 20 years...

I guess he reconsidered that whole "my songs in commercials" thing.

I remember when I saw that Chevy commercial for the first time, and recognized the song and his voice, I immediately thought "you little shit...".

He was - and still is - such a mouthy little punk, it was funny for me to see that change. Chevy must've dangled a big enough check in front of him to make those "Jack & Diane" royalties seem like bubblegum money.

For years now, I've seen him as Sean Penn's musical alter ego: chain-smoking, humorless pud given to wild-ass, pot-stirring statements directed at The Man. The two of them should go on tour or buy a house together.