View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-01-16, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Shocks me. Not killed off, not brought up to present, just left to languish.

I'd been pretty skeptical of the whole "Mac Nano" thing, but after seeing Air I could actually believe it. Build a simple box with no BTO options... it's just an appliance. Give it decent specs but no optical drive (offer the $99 USB one) and price it at $399 and you're good to go.

So what's the next reasonable place to announce updates? Or are we going to have to wait until summer?
Uhh...Apple doesn't need to fill the gap between the mini and AppleTV. I mean we've been arguing about how the mini and AppleTV should be merged into one product for months. Now that AppleTV actually has a purpose and a cheaper pricetag, it's clear no merger is going to take place. Why would we want to go through all that again at a lower pricepoint?

The solution isn't to bring the mini down closer to the AppleTV. They should leave it like it is and give it minor updates: Santa Rosa at least, Penryn hopefully, a minor aesthetic refresh, a price drop to the magic $499 people always rant about. I can't think of a good way to up-spec it other than giving it an IGP better than the GMA 950 (or even the X3100), so I'll leave that to your imagination.

Obviously my feelings on desktops are focused elsewhere. Apple needs to offer a full-fledged desktop, but the mini has its place in the $500-$800 'toy' computer range.