View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-01-16, 03:15

Anecdotal evidence: a friend of mine has recently bought a Mac. He's a bit of a hardcore gamer, with two custom-built machines with watercooling, modding and all the other crazy stuff. Completely Windows. Having switched careers to design, he got in touch with Macs at his new workplace. Within days, he got interested in Macs, and within weeks, he ordered his first one: a MacBook. I've never heard him praise a computer so much.

Why am I telling this story? Because he's so happy with it that he convinced his parents to get rid of their cheapo PC and buy a Mac mini instead. Now they're down to very few problems – despite it being a wholly new OS and platform for them to deal with – , and he's even happier because he doesn't have to support them any more. The Mac mini just sits there quietly and tinily and does its job. Never once did they complain that it's underpowered, that it's overpriced, that it's overdue for an upgrade, or that they can get a better deal from a different vendor. Because they don't care. Because they've never seen a computer that works so well for them.

For someone who has never before touched a Mac, the Mac mini fulfilled its very intention: to provide a low-end entry to the Mac platform.