View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2020-03-28, 17:33

So, Unacast, which appears to be a big data analytics operation, has made available their "social distancing scoreboard." Uses cell phone location data to drive a bunch of metrics around which areas (down to the county level) are stepping up by stepping back. The data only runs through the 23rd, but in every case I looked at there was a sharp uptick in "mobility" last weekend. I guess they run their algorithms in week batches? So it will be interesting to see if that happens again this weekend. If so, not great, because if everybody emerges from their hidey-holes to flock to the beaches and parks, there to be part of a crowd, then sort of missing the whole point of the thing.

BTW not addressing the fact that an analytics company has access to aggregate cell phone location data, I suppose not surprising and maybe actually helpful in this case. Otherwise and back in the former world, fuck them. https://www.unacast.com/covid19/soci...ing-scoreboard

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated