View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-04-14, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I was afraid we'd see posts like this.

Considering this is a thread for discussing the Apple Watch, I'd hope we could, you know, discuss our Apple Watches, without being accused of bragging. You know, like in any other thread. Is it bragging when an 5K iMac comes out and people post their excitement and impressions? Is it bragging when people ask advice on what options to add to their already-$2,000 MacBook Pro? I spent less on my Apple Watch than I did on my iPhone, and nobody was accusing people of bragging just for talking about their new iPhones last September.

Eugene didn't call attention to how much he spent, or even mention the price; you just knew what he spent from knowing the prices. I don't think he was trying to show off, or shame anybody for being a have-not, or whatever. Jesus.
you know it's interesting.... i simply posted what my initial emotion was following reading his post. However, before i clicked submit I realized the reaction for what it was but I thought it was important and interesting to post and see the reaction from everyone else. Will envy be accepted? Will there be shared jealousy? What will the reaction be to the first person who admits to paying $999 for one? Or an Edition model?

Reality is that I'm probably not alone, most people just won't be honest about it.

I find it to be the weirdest aspect of the Apple Watch and a very weird position for Apple to be in. They really are selling the tiers of watch off of the natural lust/status/envy/economic status of human beings. Same function.... $16,600 price spread.

I think Apple wants reactions like mine. And frankly, I am jealous. The stainless steel is indeed a nicer watch, but it is also a symbol of being able to afford a nicer watch. I can't. or, at least I won't let myself.

While trying on the watches with coworkers they made jokes about the Edition and how ridiculous it was. But, when I asked them if they would recognize a 15,000 rolex on a man's wrist, or a 17,000 Apple Watch Edition they both said they would instantly recognize the Edition.

Apple products and its marketing are engrained in pop culture these days. If you are rich and want to flaunt it, wearing an Apple Watch Edition will do it better than ANY other watch you could buy. The Stainless Steel is similar, but at a more middle class level.