Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-04-15, 05:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
you know it's interesting.... i simply posted what my initial emotion was following reading his post. However, before i clicked submit I realized the reaction for what it was but I thought it was important and interesting to post and see the reaction from everyone else. Will envy be accepted? Will there be shared jealousy? What will the reaction be to the first person who admits to paying $999 for one? Or an Edition model?

Reality is that I'm probably not alone, most people just won't be honest about it.

I find it to be the weirdest aspect of the Apple Watch and a very weird position for Apple to be in. They really are selling the tiers of watch off of the natural lust/status/envy/economic status of human beings. Same function.... $16,600 price spread.

I think Apple wants reactions like mine. And frankly, I am jealous. The stainless steel is indeed a nicer watch, but it is also a symbol of being able to afford a nicer watch. I can't. or, at least I won't let myself.

While trying on the watches with coworkers they made jokes about the Edition and how ridiculous it was. But, when I asked them if they would recognize a 15,000 rolex on a man's wrist, or a 17,000 Apple Watch Edition they both said they would instantly recognize the Edition.

Apple products and its marketing are engrained in pop culture these days. If you are rich and want to flaunt it, wearing an Apple Watch Edition will do it better than ANY other watch you could buy. The Stainless Steel is similar, but at a more middle class level.
May I suggest that you are projecting quite a bit here? Honestly, his consumer choices do not impact you, nor do they restrict you from making other choices that would eliminate the jealousies that you openly admit to.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration