View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-12, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
… just not really worth the hype that some put into these events…
Notice that it isn't Apple putting in the hype? It's us.

We get ourselves all excited for something we know isn't coming, then bitch when it doesn't.

I'm hyped for nothing. I know Apple is going to introduce a new iPhone model and an updated iPad and maybe a little Watch BS. We don't sell iPhones; we don't sell the Watch; and we barely sell iPads anymore, so little of this has any affect whatsoever on my bottom line. Since I also don't use (or have any use for) any of the above mentioned things, this event bares little more use to me than to satisfy my curiosity.

However, I care deeply about the Mac and am patiently waiting for the next, new Shiny™ to boost sales. I'm confident that no Macs are coming on the 21st, nor any other time between now and WWDC. So, deal with it!

As for HybridMacTablet thing? Yes, Apple will eventually get around to that, but it won't be what you think. Apple is not just going to slap a touchscreen on a laptop running OS X. There is a reason why that 3rd party thing you mention sucks, and it has more to do with OS X than the hardware. There is also a reason that Apple didn't put OS X as we knew it into the iPhone or iPad. OS X (like Windows) was designed for little mouse pointers, not Fumblefingers McThumbs. I can't even imagine the number of user complaints we'll see if OS X becomes touch-based in its current form. Can you imagine trying to tap all those MS Word buttons, menus etc. on a 10" screen?

Will I praise Apple and eat my words? Probably. At least, until I get to know the product, at which point I might not have much good to say. The evidence in this is the iPad, which I praised when it first came out (and still praise in certain use cases). I bought one, and then got a Mini. However, as a writer I have learned that I have absolutely no use for them. Terrible. So, yeah. What you said.

BUT!

If it's just a touch-screen Mac running OS X the way it currently sits, you'll hear nothing good from me. That would be stupid.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)