View Single Post
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-10-22, 04:05

If you look in the FAQ thread at the top of this forum, there are details in there on how to boot into single user mode and run fsck from there. Should have a better chance of fixing problems, and you don't need to boot off the install disk to do it.

Quote:
To repair your primary "bootable" system hard drive, you must boot into single-user mode (hold the apple and 's' keys while rebooting). At the command prompt, enter the command:

/sbin/fsck -fy

This will force FSCK (FileSystem ChecK) to run and automatically repair any errors it encounters. When completed, if you see the message that your filesystem was modified, run the command again. Repeat until you receive a message that says your volume "appears to be OK." When complete, enter the command:

reboot

As an alternative to using the commands in single-user mode (ie. for the terminal-phobic), you can reboot from your Mac OS X Install CD/DVD and choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. Then, you can use the earlier instructions to repair any hard drive including your system's boot drive.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me