View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-21, 18:40

Running the latest iOS 15.5, and have been since its release.

I've got 16GB, but that's not the issue because it always hovers around 14-14.5. If/when it ever gets over 15GB, I offload any pics/videos, clear my Safari and YouTube caches, delete any downloaded podcasts, etc. and BOOM...I'm back down to ~14GB.

Today, as of about 25 minutes ago, I get an alert telling me my iPhone is out of storage. When I check the storage situation in iPhone Settings (Settings > General > iPhone Storage) it's showing 15.9GB out of 16 used, I've got a badged "alert" in my settings, etc. The whole nine yards, none of which I've ever received.

Thing is, I know I don't have 15.9GB because I had around 14.2GB this time yesterday, and, in that time, I've taken no new pics/video, I've deleted any recent texts that had any, I've not downloaded any podcasts since earlier in the week (and they're gone), I've not installed any new apps.

Specially, when I check my iPhone Storage settings above, it's showing Photos as using 562.1MB...thing is, I have no photos/video on my phone, in the Photos app. So it's obviously some sort of "reporting" bug/error. I don't have to have zero showing, but even when I've got 5-10 photos on my phone, it doesn't show them as taking up 500MB+. In fact, Photos has never been at the top of the usage list. It's always Safari, Podcasts and a few others...and it's never 500MB or more.

So, again, obviously some sort of bug/fluke that just randomly hit about 30 minutes ago.

What I can't find is some sort of emergency, face-slapping "photo date purge" button in Settings.

I'd like to avoid the full-tilt factor reset and all, so does anyone have anything easy/simple to try and force my phone to report the usage as accurate? I don't have 15.9GB of usage...there's nothing on it, in the app it's pointing to (Photos), to explain why it's showing 562.1MB.

I've done 2-3 restarts, and I've done 2-3 soft restarts (holding down home button and on/off button until the white screen with the Apple logo appears). Usually I do this after all my cache/pic clearing once a month or so and it seems to reset/clear some stuff out and I'm back down around ~14GB again

SHORT VERSION: Why is my iPhone Photos app showing it's taking up 560MB+ of space when I know damn well it isn't, and it's making my iPhone show that it's using 15.9GB of its 16GB capacity, when I know damn well it isn't. How do I zap/clear out that (false) showing of 550MB+ Photos usage? Doing that fixes the biggest part of all this, I'm sure.

Is there not, in the iPhone settings or even the Mac (with the iPhone connected), some big master "cache/crud clearer" button or command I can do to get this thing back down to the ~14GB I know it's using?