View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-23, 07:57

I will/am. I haven’t yet, so the above was an issue. I just hate spending money on stuff I don’t consider 100% crucial/necessary.

An iPhone, for me, simply doesn’t qualify.

But, yeah…I’ll have the new SE soon enough. One day I’ll wake up and be like “okay, today’s a good day to do this…the current one is no longer working like it's supposed to, and is more of a hassle/aggravation than not.”

Had the above issue not straightened itself out, I might’ve been doing so today. I often have to have my hand forced, and the “have to” override the “want to”.

Clarification: I love my iPhone, and I wouldn't want to be without one for more than a couple of days. When I say I don't consider it 100% crucial/necessary, I mean that more from the sense of "I don't need to replace one that's still working fine, despite its age" (it runs the very latest version of iOS, which is pretty nice; I figure we'll get a preview of iOS 16 at WWDC in a couple of weeks, and I'm 99% sure this first-generation SE won't be supported when iOS 16 releases. That'll be a spur as well, between now and then, to upgrade. For some reason, running a generation or three behind on the Mac doesn't bother me like it would an iPhone (because the iPhone is with me/goes with me everywhere, so I kinda want that to be as good, capable and "modern" as it can be. I've never run behind on iOS, and I wouldn't start now. Knowing this first-gen SE is likely in its final months of being able to run the current system, that definitely factors in and will push me too.

I just hate paying for something new when the current thing is still working. I think I got that from my grandpa. I call it "frugal and practical". The world calls it "being a cheapskate". *shrug* Tomato, tomahto...

But if this phone were to bite the dust today/this week, I'd be heading out to buy a replacement (new, third-generation SE) that evening or the next day, absolutely. Still don't know what color I'd get, but I can flip a coin at the store if needed. The one thing I'd probably do this go around is get a case of some sort. I hate the thought, but I'm just getting too klutzy and butterfingered these past couple of years. I think the era of me and "naked" iPhones is coming to an end...I should better protect a $429 purchase.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-23 at 11:32.