Thread: Wwdc 2022
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-06, 17:43

Me too. The other two Macs from November 2020 did. Those all three went to M1 on the same day. Wonder why the Mac mini was left out? I talked Dad into waiting because I knew WWDC was looming and I told him that the Mac mini he's eyeing might be updated (just based on how long its been, rumors of the M2, etc.).

Today came and went with nothing happening. His needs are modest (writing, surfing), so it wasn't that he was waiting on the M2 necessarily, but if one was announced today, it would've pushed the prices on the refurb M1 minis down by $30-50. As it stands, he's now going to pull the trigger on that base, entry-level M1 Mac mini (8/256) for $589, once they become available (none showing today, last I checked). Even at 18 months old, it'll run circles around his 2010 MacBook Pro which barely even works at this point and takes forever to do do anything...open windows, menu appear, etc.

PS - I'm not entirely convinced Apple is even working on a Mac Pro, as we know/expect it. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they just said "eh, screw it...we don't sell enough of them to kill ourselves trying to make a perfect one", despite having done so for ages and ages (until they thought that trash can was a better idea; and then it sat, untouched, for six years). I really don't think Apple thinks much of that area anymore* and, if they had their way, everyone would just buy a tricked-out Mac studio.

*I think the current Mac Pro (with the wheels and the $1,000 monitor stand) was a troll/inside gag or elaborate prank that somehow got out of hand and wound up being for sale.