View Single Post
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2010-01-27, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
What is its intended purpose?

It can't be "typing stuff" because it's no better than a netbook for that. If you want to type things I think the cheapest full-size notebook or netbook with a full-size keyboard would be the best option.

I guess it's a mobile internet device, but so is the iPod Touch, which is basically the same thing but smaller and cheaper. But the iPod Touch is really just a toy like Wrao said.

It looks kind of fun but I'm not sure what it's actually useful for. Then again, I guess that's all the internet is for. And who am I to talk... I love my computer, which is a desktop running Windows and connected to the internet via a wired ethernet connection. I have no use for wireless anything.
Typing is the most basic of input modality and the iPad does do that. But what happens when you want to manipulate photos on a Netbook? There's were you see the limitation of its form factor. It's just a small PC so you're still stuck mousing around to move data.

A Touch/iPhone is fine for extreme portability but you don't get the type of Calendar views that most of us with a hectic schedule want. You don't get the mail management view that we need to handle the deluge of email that comes in daily. There's no substitute for physical real estate when it comes to some apps. If you need to see a lot of data through a single pane then a larger screen is a must.

Tablet's aren't for everyone but removing the keyboard for a tablet is just as liberating as removing the qwerty chiclets on a phone. It puts your data in the largest view possible ..not the input method.

omgwtfbbq