View Single Post
¡Damned!

2010-01-27, 19:11

After percolating on this a bit, I've decided the iPad is genius.

It's a MomPad, nay, a GrandmaPad. All these fucking people that thought they were left out in the cold with the next big thing (iPhone) are going to snap this shit up in record numbers.

We need to think about this thing in exactly the opposite way as we expected. It doesn't do any new shit at all. The iWork port is a ruse to make it seem more "professional."

It's not. It's a home tablet, made for people that think Apple is cool and can't afford it. It's a fucking trojan horse for the middle class.

Us techies, us aficionados, will continue to scream all week about the iPad's limitations. In the meantime, thousands and thousands of people are going to order this damn thing, because it's seemingly "perfect" for what they do.

Honestly, I could never buy one as is, because as it is right now it's broken. No camera, no input, no...well, Finder, or equivalent. There's no way in hell I want to be locked into an iTunes-type interface as my connection to the machine, and that's essentially what it is.

That said, it's a beautiful kit. I just wish it was smarter.

So it goes.