View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-04-04, 17:12

Ken should love this story.

Soooo.... I found myself wanting to build the Soviet N1 rocket for the museum, but I kept struggling on the shape of it. The thing is cone-like, but it's not a single cone. On top of that, there are no obvious tools or charts online (like for circles) for making a slice of a cone, aka a conical frustum.

Being a programmer at heart, I started doodling to think of a good way to write a formula that would spit out Minecraft-friendly coordinates for building such a shape.

After noodling on it for a few minutes, I decided to start over and significantly simplify my approach. If anyone cares to see it, here she is: https://gist.github.com/infinitewarp...9ef574f438d9b3

Plugging in some numbers, the midsection of the N1 is going to look something like this:
Code:
./conical.py 14 9 7 layer 1: ··XXXXX·· ·XX···XX· XX·····XX X·······X X·······X X·······X XX·····XX ·XX···XX· ··XXXXX·· layer 2: ···XXX··· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· X·······X X·······X X·······X ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ···XXX··· layer 3: ···XXX··· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· X·······X X·······X X·······X ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ···XXX··· layer 4: ···XXX··· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· X·······X X·······X X·······X ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ···XXX··· layer 5: ···XXX··· ··X···X·· ·X·····X· X·······X X·······X X·······X ·X·····X· ··X···X·· ···XXX··· layer 6: ····X···· ··XX·XX·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· X·······X ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··XX·XX·· ····X···· layer 7: ····X···· ··XX·XX·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· X·······X ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··XX·XX·· ····X···· layer 8: ········· ··XXXXX·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··XXXXX·· ········· layer 9: ········· ··XXXXX·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··XXXXX·· ········· layer 10: ········· ··XXXXX·· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ··XXXXX·· ········· layer 11: ········· ··XXXXX·· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ··XXXXX·· ········· layer 12: ········· ··XXXXX·· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ··XXXXX·· ········· layer 13: ········· ···XXX··· ··X···X·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··X···X·· ···XXX··· ········· layer 14: ········· ···XXX··· ··X···X·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··X···X·· ···XXX··· ·········

which works out to be this:

Mathmatical!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.