View Single Post
Amadeus

2005-05-30, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbox
No ...... actually it is the SS that allows us to travel.

I have NO pension and had very little savings.

But, I sold my business that I had built up over 30+ years, downsized a bigger house we built to a nice (we actually like it better) factory built house in a retirement park in Florida and have a 100 acre plot of farmland in Ohio we cash rent.

Could live fine on what I ended up with, but the SS is the cream that gives us the freedom to do what the hell we want to.

If you've had a nice income thru your working years SS is a pretty good chunk of cash. The Medicare Plan is a damn good health insurance too.

It's popular to knock SS & Medicare, but don't be a fool. Insist that the politicians keep it going. It's a safety net that you can squeak by on if you have to and a damn fine deal if you've got a little something extra.

We're locked in, but you younger guys can loose it if you don't keep their feet to the fire. If the politicians & government workers were on the SS system instead of the gold train they are on, you'd see how fast it would turn healthy again.

Insist..........
What kind of business did you have?

When you mentioned the land in Ohio. Are you from Ohio? I'm a native Buckeye, both my wife and I.

I worked for the government and receive retirement pay. I'm over 55 so I'm in the age group that won't be affected. Will be eligible for Medicare and SS.

SS does need fixing, the numbers just don't add up for the future. Sadly it looks like they are going to wait because they don't like Bush.