View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-07, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Um, yeah...maybe.

Some guy - a prosecuter, no less - was diddling underage kids (or seeking to) and offed himself from the guilt/shame (and the prospect of getting nailed for it)?

Do I lose sleep tonight over this? I don't know...my gut says "no".

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
All it does is popularize the methods used by pseudo-law enforcement agencies to catch potential predators. They capture a few and make it harder to capture the next hundred.
The people last night were Flagler County sheriffs and police; struck me as legit outfits. They use that group who pose/monitor chats probably because most police and sheriff departments (especially small towns) probably don't have these kinds of units or manpower. I don't know police budgets though...maybe it's becoming more common in some places?

I would think, as much as this show is on, it would "make a dent". But these guys are still showing up in droves it appears.

What's your basis for your "they capture a few and make it harder..." comment? I'm not being antagonistic or argumentative...I'm genuinely curious. In what way does capturing people breaking the law make it harder to catch others? What are they supposed to do? What's an improved situation or better plan? Again, I ask out of genuine curiosity (and to anyone here).

Are there approved, sanctioned methods that should only be used? Or is it a pure law enforcement-only area?

No one seems "entrapped" here. The perps seem to zero in on the decoys, and many conversations took place, with the perp always instigating the sexual-oriented talk.

Would you have similar thoughts about things like neighborhood watches and so forth? Those aren't "real law enforcement", but if they observe criminal activity they contact the police or whoever.

Windswept, I'm not sure. I've only seen two of these. But one guy last night had a pre-teen daughter (which was weird), and another had small kids and another on the way.

I'm sure their lives get turned upside-down a good bit.

If you're a wife or girlfriend, would you want to know? Probably the worst way possible to find out, I realize. Ugh...no getting around that.

But I'd opt for knowing and being able to make a break, over blindly living with someone doing this on the side and never knowing.

It's all weird and unsavory. But what do you expect...the underlying issue/topic is too. Probably no way to put a good angle on this sort of thing.