View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-07, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
paul,

the fact that before this show I suspect that most of us didn't think that they were putting up decoys in online chat rooms means that predators with half a brain can use this new information to change their coupling strategies.
That's true. A lot will, I'm sure. But man...a lot of these guys seem so driven by it. A couple of them even reference the wrongness, and telling the decoy "delete this chat" or talking about how much trouble they could be in.

I wonder if it's so powerful and controlling. The "half a brain" comment probably touches on it: you'd have to be about 3/4 bonkers to be doing this stuff to begin with. And this show - and its techniques - are probably big talk in that particular community.

But honestly: I'm sure so many of these guys simply don't give a shit. They've sunk so low (and they know they're doing wrong). There's that threshold you cross...

I wonder how many of these guys say to themselves, while driving to their meeting, "what are the chances I'll get nailed by this show?". A distant worry to some, coming in second to their desire to get with a young girl.

Yikes.

Quote:
I don't care for sexual predators, in fact I don't think they are curable, are the root cause of MOST criminal activity in the US among many other negative views of these individuals; but the prosecutor who killed himself did so when cameras were rolling outside of his house. If there hadn't been an NBC filming crew outside, do you think he would have killed himself? Even the possibility of this as part of his suicidal intentions means the show should stop. What's worse, evidently they showed the footage filmed outside his house when he did the deed.
It may have spurred him, sure enough. Although if he was in trouble, he was going to have to face the music sooner or later. He might've opted to shoot himself at another time. I don't know. All legit stuff to think about, sure enough.

Quote:
NBC isn't making this show to be responsible. They are showing it for pure profit motives.
I completely agree, and it's obvious on a lot of levels (the frequency, the hype/promotion NBC gives it, the adherence to "formula", the build-up and production values (so to speak) trying to give it a sheen of "do-goodery" (is that a word? )

It's no secret my feelings on news and the media in general, and how they all go about what they do.

It's weird to think a network having a chunk of their success anchored on such a show. You'd think so many things would enter into it all, from NBC, law enforcement and the perp's perspectives. But it's self-sustaining because there is probably no shortage of guys looking to do this. Some are, obviously, going to take that chance no matter what.

I think some, but certainly not all (not even close), would ever change their "meeting tactics". Simply too easy to go online and throw out a line. It's probably easy to tell yourself "this can't be a watchdog group...she sent me her picture!"

Some people are that stupid. Or desperate.