View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-16, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Progress bars that don’t show progress are my most hated things in Apple-dom. I’ve had numerous moments of unease or mini-panic over the years at something “stuck” and not happening for 15-20 minutes.

But I always knew better than to abort and just wait it out. For someone who’s used this stuff for 25+ years, I kinda know those moments occur. For newcomers to the platform having to do these things without a Mac-savvy friend or relative, I can see why they’d think something is wrong and stop the procedure, resulting in trouble.
Who's to say there isn't a bug where it does get stuck, though?

It seemed to take 75-ish minutes. I guess some people will be patient and leave it running overnight, but… what if it does take 9 hours?

Quote:
It seems Apple could put a little text blurb/message on screen saying exactly what was taking place and “even though the progress bar may not be moving, important installations are taking place. These may take some time. Please do not shut down or restart your Mac.” or things along that line.

They could easily throw folks a bone and calm their fears at those moments.
Definitely, but beyond that, while showing a simple, slick progress bar is fine for things that take at most just a few minutes, there comes a point where giving some more "what the hell is it doing right now?" details would ease tensions. Is it still reticulating splines? Reversing the polarity? Etc.

Quote:
Just sitting there staring at a progress bar that hasn’t budged in 15+ minutes, with no helpful text on the screen to let you know “this is normal...relax” kinda sucks.

Maybe address that in MacOS Napa, Apple. Seems pretty easy to implement.
Yup.