View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-30, 13:11

I'll be on Big Sur only because it'll come on whatever M-whatever Mac I wind up with in 2021. And I'll be installing my three whole third-party apps directly from the Mac App Store, so hopefully I won't have any carryover issues of "the old stuff" lurking around anywhere. I think that is what's causing trouble for a lot of people, just that solid clean break/line from the old and the new?

The one-click migration thing is nice, but I've always been concerned about "if I'm having weird issues/gremlins, won't those just carry over as well?", so I never do that when setting up a new Mac. It's easy enough to download/install apps fresh and I can manually copy over my documents, music and Photos library, and just let everything else behind the scenes re-build itself or whatever it needs. I might be totally wrong on all this, but it's just the way I've always done it and I rarely have big glaring issues/troubleshooting adventures.

I run as lean, clean and tight a system as I possibly can. I certainly don't download trial/free-ware stuff, or all those "Mac running slow? Clean it for free with this amazing software!" things which probably installs God-knows-what onto your system. Making sure friends and family don't either is damn near a full-time job...

"Guys, don't believe anything you read/see in an unsolicited online pop-up/banner ad or emails...I'm begging you. Because then I'm affected/involved because guess who then has to put on his Troubleshoot and Fix Stuff hat (when that's his least favorite thing to do)?"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-30 at 13:22.