View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-04-19, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Side rant.

USB is so thoroughly balkanized that I haven't even tried to keep all the permutations straight in my head, chiefly because I do not currently require the speed that certain professional users might.

These specifications are confounding.
They are, and I think that's sort of by design. Not that they deliberately want to confuse people, but that they want to make products look better than they are.

For example, why introduce "USB 3.1 Gen 1"? So that manufacturers can claim "oh yeah, this is totally USB 3.1" without actually changing the product at all, and with putting a "well, it's not Gen 2, but it's totally 3.1!"

Same for "USB 3.2 Gen 1" (same as 3.0) and "Gen 2" (same as 3.1). Only 3.1 Gen 2 is new to 3.1, and only 3.2 Gen 1x2 and Gen 2x2 (are you serious right now) are new to 3.2.

And then USB4 simplifies things. Haha, no, it does not. USB4 Gen 2x1 is slightly different than USB 3.2 Gen 2x1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
It would help ME if they used naming conventions like MacOS to differentiate between versions (ThunderBolt, OceanGod, MagmaCore, etc).
Honestly, Apple's naming isn't great either. Quick, which one is "best"? The M1? The M1 Pro? Oh, the pro is best, right? The M1 Max? Gotta be the max; it is, after all, "max"imum. No, It's the M1 Ultra. And that one may not even be the highest end, with the Mac Pro yet to come.