View Single Post
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-03-30, 05:21

I think they have lost the case (Apple Corps that is).

"Apple Corps seeks logo ban in iTunes" WTF?

Quote:
"Apple Computer can go into the recorded music business in any way they want. What they cannot do is use the Apple (trade)mark to do it," Apple Corps counsel Geoffrey Vos said in his opening statement.
I think Apple's defense can effectively argue that no-one knows the 'Apple Corps' logo (and probably that no one gives a preverbial s*&t), and therefore any damages are moot.

This quote made me laugh..

Quote:
Apple Corps lawyer Vos said Apple CEO Steve Jobs had offered to buy the name Apple Records for $1 million in 2003; however, Apple Corps rejected the offer, according to The Wall Street Journal.
I can see why Apple Corps. have taken the line they have though..

Quote:
The case will decide whether the Cupertino-based company breached a $26 million settlement in 1991, where Apple Computer was awarded the rights to produce "goods and services," but not works whose principal content is music.
Assuming the word 'works' comes from the actual ruling then that would indeed rather clearly allow the iPod and iTunes as they are themselves goods and services and not 'works', which legally I believe would be interpreted as a piece of music.

Heck, on that basis they'd have a better chance going after the in house music bundled with GarageBand.

So they are going after the logo thing.. Well that's a shame because no-one knows or cares about the Apple Corps. logo, so no damages, 'cos there ain't anything to damage. The whole firm is a tax shelter and holding company, period.

Game Over. IMHO.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2006-03-30 at 05:28.