View Single Post
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-07-12, 20:34

Here's my entry. Owning a Siberian Husky in the desert has its challenges. This is a dog that is literally bred to live in the snow. They can survive in temperatures all the way down to 60ºF below zero. They have two coats, a rough water resistant outer coat, and a soft, fluffy down-like undercoat. So living here, especially at this time of year, and especially this year in particular when it seems to be hotter than previous years, is not exactly ideal in terms of Husky ownership. Yesterday I saw 117º on my car's ext. temp readout.

So obviously the A/C stays on in the house 24/7, but I still have to take him out for walks every day. I try to do it when the sun is down, or like today when it's overcast so we don't have direct sunlight. Even without that though, by the time we get back Rex is panting and hot. What do?

Popsicles! What works for people works for dogs. In this case it's a pumpkin popsicle, it's just store-bought pumpkin mixed with some water and frozen in a dog popsicle mold, one with a hard rubber base that's safe and good for chewing on. He absolutely loves these things, and they cool him down internally. It's not as good as a frolic in a snowbank, but it gets the job done.