View Single Post
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-09-29, 06:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Canadian
I have a question about laptops in general, I have never used laptop internet so im wondering how it works? Do I have to pay a service provider a subscription fee or monthly? With an ibook It has Built-in AirPort Extreme &
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR what is this? and how does it work can I go to my school libary and get internet or my house? Is there a site that gives alot of information about laptop internet?
If you have internet access already, the AirPort Extreme Base Station or AirPort Express will simply connect to your router. Your iBook connects wirelessly to the AirPort terminal so AirPort replaces a cable.

These links will help - (1) http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/ (2) http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

If you have your AirPort set up (and have an ISP account), you can surf wirelessly anywhere in your house and a bit beyond. Various coffee shops have WiFi hotspots where you can surf wirelesly for a fee - Starbucks uses T-Mobile. If you go into your web browser in Starbucks with AirPort on, the T-Mobile screen will guide you through.

Do a search on 'Nova (top menu bar) for AirPort to get details of how to set up your AirPort connection securely.

Bluetooth is entirely different - short range and usually used for connecting wireless mouse / keyboard / headset to your Mac. BT 2.0 EDR is the latest fast bluetooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Canadian
Another thing is if I bought the 12" ibook what software/hardware should I get to go with it? Is there anything that an ibook really shouldn't go without?
Is it worth it to upgrade the RAM or HDD?
Your iBook will come with a full complement of software, unless you need wordprocessing or presentational software etc. which you can buy separately later. See also www.macupdate.com for freeware and shareware.

I would recommend at least a 768 MB or, better, 1GB of RAM - you will notice a speed enhancement with the greater RAM. A 60GB hard-drive is a good idea (because music and video files can be very large) but if your budget is constrained it is better spent on RAM and you can get by with 40GB.

Edit: slower fingers than Brad.