View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-01-20, 18:18

January, 2013:

Note that this thread started in 2008. I can hardly believe it has been so long ago. Back then, I had a diversified portfolio, as is generally recommended. But eventually, I became disgusted with all of my holdings and turned more and more into Apple. *Before* the recent fall from $700, the worth of my Apple shares had increased by 475% and I had planned to leave my investments in Apple for a good long while. But now, of course, we all know what has happened, and though I haven't sold any of my Apple shares yet, I suppose that will happen, and I will need other stocks to buy.

I suppose jcoley would give the same advice as before, if he is still posting here these days, to buy ETFs. I am grateful for any advice, and I have looked into ETFs from time to time. I like stocks that I can buy and leave, without managing them. I expect them to go up and down, but as long as the main trend is *up*, I'm okay with leaving them to do their thing over the long haul (say, five years). I saw comments about a stock called Synageva BioPharma recently, which apparently has been up 19% of late. Anyone know anything about that one?

The comments above my current post in this thread were made back in 2008. And btw, if the advice you gave then is *not* what you would say now, please let us know. By the same token, if your advice turned out well, and if you would still give the same recommendations, please let us know that too. Thanks so very much.