View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-09, 11:52

Grey and I have been tossing ideas around regarding the possibility of moving to 1.8 and the wiping of the Nether. If the Nether is wiped (and I agree with Grey that it should be) then a new Nether Hub will need to be constructed.

Nether Hub 1.0 was my first Nether construction project and I was terribly nervous of the ghasts and lava (and died … a lot). However, I am no longer one who lives in fear of the Nether. In fact, I have spent far more time exploring it than the overworld and am comfortable there with or without armor. Simply put, I don't find the Nether to be a scary place any longer.

That said, I am far more confident that we can build out a Nether Hub that is far more "sexy" (as Grey likes to say), with wider paths and a more futuristic look. Jess and I have been tossing ideas around in our server at home and have arrived at both a railed and walking path design. I am against the rail idea in the Nether, since travel distances are so short, anyway. A rail-based subway in the new Overworld is a fantastic idea, though!

Anyhow, below are some pictures of the prototype walking tube Jess and I have been building. While I have done the placement, she has a pretty good eye for design and has been tossing lots of ideas (some of which have stuck).

So, without any further B.S., here are some pics for comment:

Quote:

This image is looking up at the tube and an intersection with a portal. As you can see, this design has the tubes "hanging" from the ceiling, which is some 40 blocks above. The hanger "chains" are iron rail and will be much easier to install than it appears.
Quote:

This image looks down on the same intersection and portal. Note the portals are 3x3 (rather than 2x3) to bring symmetry to the system. The portals are the exact same dimensions as the tubes.
Quote:

Looking along the tube into the distance. The tube segments are 5 blocks long in the prototype, but I would make them 4 blocks long in the working model (to bring symmetry for intersecting tubes). If you look carefully, you will see a spot where I fouled up and made one section 4 blocks in length, rather than five. This is actually what I want for 2.0.

Quote:

Standing inside the tube looking into infinity. The segmented sections are stone slabs capped with quartz steps to "round" the corners.
Quote:

Looking down on the intersection from the opposite direction.
Quote:

Looking down and along the tube (note the quartz blocks replacing the steps where a chain connects. This is to add a U-bracket look for structural integrity).
Quote:

Finally, looking down the tube where the tube is buried in Netherrack. Unlike the current system, which has a different appearance where it runs underground, Nether Hub 2.0 will carry the exact same design all the way through.
This design will be glass, stone, iron and glowstone expensive. However, I came up with an idea for construction that will actually make it easier and safer to build than Nether Hub 1.0.

If you have any input, please make it known. I'm pretty excited to take on another project like this, and I know of at least two other people who are, also.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-09-09 at 22:24.