View Single Post
¡Damned!

2014-09-10, 17:29

I like the concept very, very much. The idea that the paths are hanging instead of on stilts (which look terrible) is a nice nod to coming down from above. Like an entrance from the Overworld to Hell was discovered and we're lowering down discovery sections one at a time. I like it. Very Dante. I like the 'rings' with uses of both Overworld and Nether materials, too. Smart stuff.

The very minor things I would adjust is that the 'rings' are way too close together. They're every 5 blocks in the pics above and every 4 in the prototype. Walking through there you don't even get to see the Nether, let alone take in its beauty. I'd say at a minimum every 10 blocks for rings. The chains could be hung every other one (it looks like it's currently 20 blocks in the pics).

Secondly I'd put the glowstone down at the middle block instead of each corner of each ring. No need to go for "maximum brightness" in the Nether. It's self lit anyways and a little moodier is better imo. The glowstone down the middle of the path would allow for offshoot paths at just about every block instead of being beholden to the grid, and we all have experience with having to place a portal exactly in place to get it working.

Just my 2¢. I've built a quick prototype next to the others, just to get a feel. It's encased in Netherblock, like yours, but if you imagine 'dark red' as 'this is the view' I think you'll see why I prefer longer stretches between 'rings'.

Again, the concept is really nice. Chains from above are genius – whoever came up with it gets the 709 "Holy Shit. I Should've Thought Of That." Award.

So it goes.