View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-09, 12:05

I just think they put a lot of priority/emphasis on the consumer electronics/"lifestyle" angle these days. Right or wrong, good or bad, that seems to be the company they are, and then "oh, yeah...we make computers too".

Although I'm hoping this M1 stuff is the sign of a returned emphasis on that front in the coming years. Because Macs sometimes have felt like an afterthought in recent years, sure enough. But I guess not all of that can be laid at Apple's feet? I don't know.

Yeah, I was stunned to see such a thing - headphones - was four years in the making. That's about two-and-a-half more than I ever would've guessed. But if these are to be the iPhone of music-listening, I guess that takes some time.

The cool, positive thing is...the iPhones are out of the way, these headphones are, as are the lower-end Macs. So 2021 has to hold some news/movement on the M1 transition to other Macs. I know there will be some iPad and other non-Mac stuff to come, but I'm betting by this time next year, the Macs most people buy/care about will be running on the new stuff. And we might be pleasantly surprised at the pace of that transition. A lot could happen by summer.

I'm trying to take the optimistic view of this because I think they're further along, and have figured a lot of things out, already. That "two year" transition (announced at WWDC) is probably to allow them some buffer/wiggle room on the niche, higher-end Macs. I'd wager two tacos and a round of beer that by June 1, the iMac, and the 16" and two higher-end MacBook Pros (14"?) will be sporting the new stuff. And then that gives them an entire year to focus on any desktops with "pro" in the name, which nobody here seems all that interested in anyway. So I think most of us here will have what we want, come summer.

I just hope they redesign those wheels and the display stand because I think both need a far more expensive, platinum-plated Deluxe Xtremeâ„¢ version. The current ones are for penniless chumps.

Said no one, ever, in the history of anything.