View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-18, 17:37

Well, I can honestly say as a kid I only bullied / physically hurt [one or two other kids,] but that was more born out of a mutual animosity than cruelty. We were cruel to each other I guess.

I was a pretty easy-going kid. But trust me when I tell you, even my devilish buddy (who had more a nose for trouble than I) felt really bad after it happened. I don't describe it well enough probably. But imagine being this timid little kid, not very strong or brave... you move to a new home. You don't know anyone but these two guys whose parent took you to the game, so you have to trust them...

...and then not knowing where you are really in relation to home, not knowing where to run. 200 yards in the dark -- the other fields -- can be a long ways to a kid... might as well have been 200 km. When you got that kid logic going, who knows what lurks down the path, right? And so they leave you there screaming. And I don't mean it was a whiny kid scream; it was a scream of terror almost. Maybe he was too sheltered and maybe that taught him some lesson later on that he benefitted from (not to be so afraid all the time maybe), but I felt lower than dirt that night.

Cruel was the perfect word for it IMO, because I knew before I ran... this wasn't just him being a whiny brat. He was genuinelly afraid. I didn't understand why and I didn't think of why, but I knew the sound of fear... and I ignored him. We probably ran about 100, 120 yards away from him into these dark shapes that we knew were just conession stands and bathrooms... but he didn't know that. To him, he was being deserted.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2004-07-18 at 17:47.