View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-07-18, 22:56

Wrt switches:

We had a willow tree in the backyard. A big one. An endless supply of switches. My mom would switch the back of my legs; it would sting and hurt like crazy, and leave long, thin red welts. She didn't have to do it very often. I was five.

So, one day I decided to try my plastic scissors on the hair of the two boys who lived across the street. I was going to give them a haircut. I didn't really think plastic scissors could possibly cut hair, but they did, it seems. I chopped their hair up horribly, and their mother was furious.

My mom was going to switch me, but this time I decided to run. I saw that the six-foot backyard gate was locked, and thought if I went up over the top, mom couldn't get to me if I made it to the other side. So I flew up the gate, hardly even touching it I was climbing so fast. When I looked back, though, mom was following right up the gate after me.

I was so shocked and horrified to see her climbing as fast as I did, and I'll never to this day forget the look on her face. It was a look of wry amusement as she observed my shock and surprise that she could climb as well as I, and that I was going to get my just deserts after all.